[CentOS] Documentation link on new Firefox CentOS 7 splash screen

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:07:06 UTC 2015

On 01/18/15 03:45, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/18/2015 02:14 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>>>

>>> Well, until someone rewrites the redhat docs so they don't violate
>>> copyright laws, and links to them on that centos.org/docs page, I'll
>>> continue perusing and referring to the RHEL 6 and 7 documentation.
>>
>> Alright then.  May I suggest a solution that might satisfy both opinions.
>>
>> On the documentation page where the links to CentOS [345] are found
>> place a statement to this effect:
>>
>> "CentOS is functionally equivalent to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
>
> but its not.
>
>> and is based on the same code, as released by Red Hat, and rebuilt by
>> the CentOS community."  At this point briefly explain the moral
>
> that does not make it functionally equivalent.
>
>> conundrum that prevents you from linking directly to the RHEL
>> documentation.  Then provide the appropriate link to the appropriate
>> RHEL documentation with the explanation that, "this is a link to the
>> documentation for RHEL upon which CentOS is based."  There you have a
>> disclaimer as well as an attribution.
>>
>> What say yea to this proposal?
>
> why not just say 'CentOS Linux is derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> sources as released via git.centos.org and therefore documentation
> applicable to Red Hat Enterprise Linux should largely apply to CentOS
> Linux of the same version, architecture and release.'
>
> And leave it at that ( note: no linking, therefore no assertions of
> compatibility or equivallencce ).
>
>> An undocumented computer program differs only slightly from a video
>> game.  Both are filled with mysteries, puzzles, and unanswered questions.
>
> Therefore, lets do the right thing - get the means together in community
> to adapt those docs, brand them accordingly and publish them under
> centos.org

I'm up for that.  My time is a bit limited but I would like to help.
Can anyone hold my hand a bit while I learn the ropes?  I'm not much
good at C or C++ but I can write documentation.  Especially if it's
already pretty much written and all I have to do is copy and paste.

First thing we will need is someone who is willing and able to head up
this effort.

--
    _
   °v°