[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Jan 20 02:01:02 UTC 2015

On 01/19/2015 06:49 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 05:55:44PM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Thanks for the update Johnny. So was version 38 just a one time special
>>> permission thing?
>>>
>>> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/x86_64/RPMS/
>>
>> I very much got yelled at for that.
>>

> wait,... I thought Chromium was "open source"... you need a license
> to distribute it? (note that I haven't researched which license it
> uses...)

Red Hat has permission to distribute, to paying customers, pieces of it
that are not open source.  I need to get permission to strip parts of
that out and distribute the rest.

I have asked for permission and am waiting on the answers of:

1. Can do that (take out some pieces and distribute)

2. If I can do that, are the pieces I took out good enough or do I need
to make more changes.

I want to make this happen and I am trying to do so.  However, I have no
idea what the outcome will be.

One thing is for sure, people are watching me very closely on this ..
therefore I must do it exactly the way they want me to.