[CentOS] Kickstarting several *different* setups

Ashley M. Kirchner

ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Jan 20 17:13:53 UTC 2015

Tom: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into those tools.

Mark: Yes, they are using pxeboot. Right now when they boot up, the pxe
config offers two options, 32- and 64bit. Are you suggesting I create
multiple entries that one selects based on what the machine is going to be?
Is there a way to have this done automatically so I don't have to
physically have to do that for each machine, but rather turn the thing on
and have it determine what needs to get installed on that particular
machine?

Les: I was hoping for some way to have it all automated so if for some
reason I'm not in the building, I can instruct someone else to reboot, pick
the kickstart option in the pxeboot menu (be it a web, mail, db, or user
server) and a few minutes later have a working machine without them needing
to do anything else afterwards. Mirroring the data files from backup is a
single step that can be done by any monkey, it's the configuration, or the
manual selecting of a script to run, something they can easily screw up,
that's I want to avoid.