[CentOS] Kickstarting several *different* setups

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:37:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would suggest that the "right way" would be to kickstart all your
>> machines the same way, and then use a configuration management tool
>> (like Puppet or Chef) to customize them
>

> Seconded.
>
> Personally, I recommend either ansible or bcfg2 over other tools. Puppet has
> a larger user base, but when I talk to users at conferences (such as LISA),
> ansible and bcfg2 users tend to like their tools, while an awful lot of
> people dislike Puppet but use it anyway due to inertia.

There's also saltstack which is one of the newer of the bunch.  It has
some chance of working reasonably across different platforms.   How
you feel about it will probably depend on how you feel about python in
general - and how you expect upgrades to go in the future.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com