[CentOS] Orwell's 1984 from Freedesktop,org?

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jan 23 14:04:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, January 22, 2015 22:23, Always Learning wrote:

> Surely Linux users change to Root to do system work, rather than
> attempt to make Root changes in the middle of doing ordinary GUI
> tasks whilst logged-in as a normal user ?

I logon with my normal user id and run a development desktop.  Then I
open terminal sessions and su -l into root as I need to.  However, if
you need to use a GUI tool with root privileges running from a
standard user desktop then you have to provide the root password.
This has been the case for as long as I can recall whether it is
package updating or running virt-manager.

However, this thread from 2009 might provide some guidance on getting
around that.  I have not followed it so it might be a dead end.  But,
the lead is free so 'youse pays yer monies and yer takes yer chances'.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-October/msg00053.html

Canada  L8E 3C3