[CentOS] C6 server responding extremely slow on ssh interactive

Patrick Bervoets

patrick.bervoets at psc-elsene.be
Fri Jan 30 20:32:28 UTC 2015

Op 30-01-15 om 19:40 schreef Gordon Messmer:
> On 01/30/2015 01:21 AM, Patrick Bervoets wrote:
>> iostat random sample
>
> "Random" is difficult to evaluate.  Is that representative?  Are sda, sdb, and sdc typically less than 1% utilized?  Or are there large utilization values right after a hang?
All the output was in the same scale and during a hang in an other shell.

> Does the time displayed by "atop" eventually catch up?
Not that I know. But I gave up :-)

> Does the problem persist across reboots?
Alas, one of the vm's is our production database. My next update/reboot window is next saturday. But I had the problem just before the last reboot (halfway january).
But hadn't closely monitored it afterwards.
Before - in december - I never experienced it. But it's a server I tend do leave alone, so I'm never very busy on a shell.

> Is this system running ntpd?
yes

> Does the problem persist if you turn ntpd off and reboot?
> _
I'll check that next week.