[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Thu Jan 1 16:52:45 UTC 2015
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 12/29/2014 09:04 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> [...]
>> Sure, if you don't care if you lose data, you can skip those steps.
> How did you jump from incremental feature roll-outs to data loss?  There is no necessary connection there.
>
> In fact, I’d say you have a bigger risk of data loss when moving between two systems released years apart than two systems released a month apart.  That’s a huge software market in its own right: legacy data conversion.
>
> If your software is DBMS-backed and a new feature changes the schema, you can use one of the many available systems for managing schema versions.  Or, roll your own; it isn’t hard.
>
> You test before rolling something to production, and you run backups so that if all else fails, you can roll back to the prior version.
>
> None of this is revolutionary.  It’s just what you do, every day.
>
>> when it breaks it's not the developer answering
>> the phones if anyone answers at all.
> Tech support calls shouldn’t go straight to the developers under any development model, short of sole proprietorship, and not even then, if you can get away with it.  There needs to be at least one layer of buffering in there: train up the secretary to some basic level of cluefulness, do everything via email, or even hire some dedicated support staff.
>
> It simply costs too much to break a developer out of flow to allow a customer to ring a bell on a developer’s desk at will.
>
>>> The world is moving toward incrementalism, where the first version of The System is the smallest thing that can possibly do anyone any good.  That is deployed ASAP, and is then built up incrementally over years.
>> That works if it was designed for rolling updates.  Most stuff isn’t,
> Since we’re contrasting with waterfall development processes that may last many years, but not decades, I’d say the error has already been made if you’re still working with a waterfall-based methodology today.
>
> The first strong cases for agile development processes were first made about 15 years ago, so anything started 7 years ago (to use the OP’s example) was already disregarding a shift a full software generation old.
>
>> some stuff can't be.
> Very little software must be developed in waterfall fashion.
>
> Avionics systems and nuclear power plant control systems, for example.  Such systems make up a tiny fraction of all software produced.
>
> A lot of commercial direct-to-consumer software also cannot be delivered incrementally, but only because the alternative messes with the upgrade treadmill business model.
>
> Last time I checked, this sort of software only accounted for about ~5% of all software produced, and that fraction is likely dropping, with the moves toward cloud services, open source software, subscription software, and subsidized software.
>
> The vast majority of software developed is in-house stuff, where the developers and the users *can* enter into an agile delivery cycle.
Where did you get the 5% from according to google there are

"over 200 billion lines of existing COBOL code, much of it running mission-critical 24/7 applications, it is simply too costly (in the short run) for many organizations to convert."

And what about Fortran, RPG etc.

Also how big is the outfit you work for? Sounds like you have no shortage of help, a lot of place don't have unlimited resources like you seem to have.