[CentOS] UC C-6, Gnome question

Mon Jan 12 14:40:30 UTC 2015
Rushton Martin <JMRUSHTON at qinetiq.com>

>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 05:12:48PM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
>> > On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 19:42 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
>> > <snip>
>
>> > In a nutshell, after I would terminate Firefox as part of my normal
>> > log off process, there would be another instance of Firefox left
>> > hanging around with a ppid of 1 (so it's daemonized", or as I prefer
>> > "demonized" ;-)) and using all the CPU it could get (97%-99% of a 6
>> > core AMD in my desktop) while no Firefox windows were open. Figuring
>> > it might be saving stuff I checked back many minutes later on many
>> > days and cycles and it was always there. Moreover, when normally
>> > using Firefox I'd seen 103%, 104% CPU usage etc.
>>
>> I commonly also find a "stray" firefox running after stopping firefox,
>> and it isn't using a window either. it's a nuisance because, when
>> there's a firefox update and it wants to restart the browser, it can't
>> because there's that darn "stray" one hanging around.

Another Firefox "funny" to be aware of occurs if you have a $HOME shared between multiple machines.  Firefox will refuse to start on the second machine whilst the first is running Firefox, it believes that there is already an instance running.  Rebooting the second machine will not help.  The quick-and-dirty way around this is to log in as a different user (and hence different $HOME) on the second machine.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor
copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. QinetiQ may
monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for
the purposes of security. QinetiQ Limited (Registered in England
& Wales: Company Number: 3796233) Registered office: Cody Technology
Park, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX  http://www.qinetiq.com.