[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Thu Jan 1 22:51:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, January 1, 2015 3:15 pm, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Wed, December 31, 2014 12:03, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> So, cope with change.
>>

> Is one to infer from your mantra 'cope with change' that one is not
> supposed
> to express any opinion whatsoever, ever, on any forum; on the externalised
> cost of changes made to software with no evident technical justification?
> And
> that to do so is evidence of some moral or intellectual defect in oneself?
>
> We all cope with change until we die.  That is not a philosophy or
> program. It
> is an observation on the state of existence; and is no more useful than
> the
> observation that, eventually, we all die.

First of all, I must say that I agree with you, James, on almost all of
your points. Or disagree with your opponents on majority of their points.
Moreover, I do suffer myself from "unnecessary change", thus for some
tasks I even switched to different system (if the stuff that affects you
is already in the kernel, you can not just switch from one Linux distro to
another ;-(  I have been suggested to shut up when I was too
loud/persistent saying about that (luckily I do not remember by whom and
do not care to remember ;-)

Nonetheless, even though I try to speak up when I'm unhappy thus hopefully
I'm providing feedback for developers and architects, I came to realizing
that [open source] software developers most likely will not listen to me,
even though I do represent certain number of their end customers. Take as
example my last worst displeasure. I upgraded my FreeBSD workstation from
10.0 to 10.1 which made me step up from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. And I can not
bear the change. So, after a couple of weeks of frustration of just trying
to do what I usually do on workstation I came to decision to abandon Gnome
altogether. Whoever did that transition knows what I'm talking about. It
is pretty much as switching from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.

What I told myself (not that I'm suggesting others they should...) is
this. Developers often work without monetary reward and their only reward
is seeing the result of their programming. What they get best reward is
from seeing new, fancy... Which kind of contradicts utilitarian
programming (to achieve particular goal your program is for). In last case
we always were following the principle (yes, I was programmer too): do not
make any changes unless they are absolutely necessary. Which appears to
contradict goals many developers have (KDE, GNOME, Firefox, Windows 8,...
you continue the list). All seem to abandon structured logical tree-like
arrangements of your tools, and switch you to stupid search for what you
need. Welcome to ipad generation, folks!

Thus, I decided for myself to tolerate the change as long as I can and
keep being grateful to developers whose products I use, but switch to
something more suitable for my way of working with things as soon as I can
not stand the change.

I hope, this helps someone ;-)

Happy New Year everybody! (and welcome to ipad generation! ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago