[CentOS] Secret incantations for virt-viewer?

Fri Jan 2 17:47:30 UTC 2015
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net> wrote:

> > For my own deployments, I have a wiki page which documents what VNC ports
> > are used.
>
> I keep a page in KJots listing the ports used for my VirtualBox guests.  It
> would be easy to do the same thing here.  However, it seems a kludge.  For
> large installations it is not tenable at all.

Maybe, but the port used for a host does not change.

> > There's also virsh commands to extract info.
> > virsh dominfo <VM_name>
> > virsh vncdisplay <VM_name>
>
> Yep, I know about these.  But I don't have virsh on the local computer.

Ok, install virsh?
( If solves the/a problem. )

> > > I found where virsh can report the VNC port number used by a domain.
> > > However,
> > > the computers from where I am running VNC client do not have virsh
> > > installed.
> >
> > They do not need virsh.
> > SSH to the KVM host and run the virsh commands from there.
>
> The ultimate goal is to create shortcuts in the Start menu which will
> launch
> directly to the guest.  Your method requires the user to first ssh into the
> host and then modify the Start menu shortcut.  This is not usable even in
> my
> small home network, never mind the problems with any kind of business
> environment.

Again, the VNC port used by a host does not change.  Not sure I see the
problem here.

There may be something out there that does exactly what you want.
( I don't know of it yet. :-/ )
[ I have been hoping that somebody who uses the KVM GUIs might chime in. ]

* Please do post with your final solution for the betterment of the CentOS
Community.

--
Mike