[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Mon Jan 12 00:39:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, January 11, 2015 5:16 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2015-01-11, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. Or another system altogether (sihg). I'm just extending your
>> thought half a step farther ;-)
>
> Or going even farther, if you like CentOS but not systemd, do the work
> to get CentOS working without it.  Unhappy Debian users are trying to do
> this with Devuan.  It seems extremely unlikely that complaining about
> downstream is going to change anything.

I know... But: systemd is in a mainstream kernel. All Linux distros
imminently have Linux kernel... There are different levels to which I care
about two different groups of boxes I maintain. One of them stays with
Linux and is upgraded to the latest whenever appropriate no matter whether
there is systemd or anything else I might not like. Another group... I'm
talking about their issues on different mail lists for quite some time
already. So, I'm happy. And wish the same to everybody else ;-)

Valeri

PS I guess I just mention it. I'm quite happy about CentOS (or RedHat if I
look back). One day I realized how happy I am that I chose RedHat way
back, - that was when all Debian (and its clones like Ubuntu,...) admins
were fighting with the consequences of this:
http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571 . If I had Debian machine I
would not only regenerate all key pairs, certs, etc. I would question
sanity of that box then, and will not be certain what confidential stuff
could have been stolen from it... I realized then that that level big flop
never happened to RedHat. I couldn't even point to something that would
constitute big flop RedHat of then. One only criticizes something while
one cares about it ;-)

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago