[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Mon Jan 12 17:48:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:17:00AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> This is what I was referring to:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/it-seems-that-in-future-linux-kernel-itself-will-force-the-use-of-systemd-4175483653/

What?  Did you only read the title of that page?  This is what you get
when you base your opinion on random forum (a slackware forum?)
posts.

The Linux Kernel developers who work on the 'cgroups' code are
changing the interface to cgroups.  The systemd developers are
adapting systemd to use that API.  systemd relies on the cgroup
functionality, so that's expected.

If you don't want to use systemd, eventually you'll have to use some
other interface that can use the new API.  Most likely there will
continue to be a compatibility layer that'll let you continue to use
the filesystem API for a while.  Its pretty clear that the kernel
developers aren't fond of that interface, both for consistency and
security reasons.

I still fail to see how this makes you think that systemd is part of
the Linux Kernel.  Is systemd's development heavily influenced by the
development in the Kernel?  Sure!  Does that make it part of the
Kernel?  I wouldn't think so.  I could probably make a stronger
argument that GCC is part of the Linux Kernel, since both their
development seem to be intertwined.