[CentOS] Socket behavior change from 6.5 to 6.6

Wed Jan 21 17:38:06 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com> wrote:
> > 2) Protocol change: The server never writes to the socket in the existing
> protocol, and can therefore never find out that the connection is dead.
> Writing to the socket would reveal this. But what happens if the server writes
> to the socket, and the client never reads? (We do, as it happens, have access
> to the client software, so the protocol can be fixed eventually. But I'm still
> curious as to the answer.)

If you can change the client, and you want to keep essentially
re-using the same socket after a reboot, can't you simply send a RST
on it when starting up  and then re-connect- or even run a different
program ahead starting that just sends a RST with that
source/dest/port combination?  That should make the server side
abandon that connection and accept another, although you may still
need to play tricks on the server side to avoid TIME_WAIT.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com