[CentOS] Orwell's 1984 from Freedesktop,org?

Fri Jan 23 21:54:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, January 23, 2015 3:32 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2015-01-23, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2015, at 12:35 PM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I do prefer 3ware web RAID admin
>>> interface anything else (it more transparently prevents me from making
>>> fatal blunders - probably just me).
>>
>> No, not just you.  tw_cli is needlessly confusing in its command
>> structure.
>
> Just you wait till you get to the MegaRAID command line!  It makes
> tw_cli seem like echo in comparison.
>
> I found the 3ware web interface too clunky for my purposes, so I forced
> myself to learn tw_cli.  Once I used it regularly I found it to be
> mostly usable.  I've yet to do this with megacli or storcli, and those
> are so much more complicated than tw_cli, so I haven't learned them very
> well yet.
>
> But (getting back a little to the original topic) getting to the 3ware
> web interface should not require root privileges on the client, since
> it's just the browser connecting to the 3ware http(s) listener.  The OP
> seemed to be ranting about a prompt for an administrative password from
> the desktop environment.

Yes, this is as bad as it can be. Users in "enterprise" environment
shouldn't be asked admin (root) password. And even prompted that these or
those things ("updates") are available. Don't they have sysadmin, or he
sleeps on his job? No, he is just overworked weeding out all this crap
from systems he supports ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator