[CentOS] Kickstarting several *different* setups

Thu Jan 29 16:05:00 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> Ansible, Bcfg2, Chef, Cobbler, Puppet, and Salt;  I notice that
> Spacewalk is not mentioned.  Any particular reason that it gets no
> recommendations?

I think with Spacewalk you are pretty much committed to not using
anything but Fedora or RHEL derivatives - and quite a bit of overhead
to get started.  I'd prefer infrastructure that is more flexible.

> What about CFEngine?  Any comments on this one?

I haven't looked at it for a long time, but my impression was that it
gave way to much autonomy to each node.   In our scheme of things, if
a node is not communicating correctly on the network the best thing to
happen is for it to die quietly and let the redundant systems fill in,
We don't want it trying to fix itself when things aren't working as
expected.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com