[CentOS] installing Cents os server 7.0

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Thu Jul 2 23:39:21 UTC 2015

On Jul 2, 2015, at 5:14 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> I've suggested that the distribution doesn't support dual boot if it
> has no hand in making it possible. The user doing this on their own
> manually is user enabled and supported. The distro has nothing to do
> with it.

The difference between us is that you see that as a problem.

There are a great many things the CentOS installer doesn’t do for you, that you are expected to do for yourself.

>> Would it be *nice* if RHEL/Fedora/CentOS could do this?  Sure.  Is it a necessary prerequisite? Absolutely not.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Along the same lines as this, relating primarily to security and privacy:
> http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32686.html
>
> I'll argue that the four freedoms aren't meaningful when they only
> benefit a scant minority.

Ah, it's *philosophy* then.  The “science” that lets us spin words until we get ourselves so dizzy we can’t think straight.  Sigh.

Given that CentOS doesn’t let you create C programs without any knowledge of how to program, would you also argue that CentOS doesn’t give you Freedom 0?

This is what happens when you start using entitlement arguments.

CentOS isn’t required to do absolutely everything for you that it could possibly do.   Someone has to spend the time to make that happen.  If you are not willing and able to do this work yourself, you have no claim on the time of people who can.

> And the end result is, increasingly,
> developers are picking Macs because so many basic UI/UX things are
> handled so well and continue to be a PITA on Linux (desktop in
> particular).

OS X *also* doesn’t resize Windows partitions for you.

OS X's Boot Camp feature will resize an HFS+ partition to make room for Windows, but it can’t then split the NTFS partition to make room for Linux.

Boot Camp won’t even support triple boot.  If you want to, you’re into a situation that’s considerably more complicated than what you have to go through to dual-boot Windows and CentOS:

    http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

Oh, and lest you think I have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m writing this on an OS X box which I’m using instead of CentOS not because CentOS sucks, but because Apple is one of the few sources of really nice modern Unix workstations.  I’ve got a SecureCRT window constantly open to the CentOS box I develop on, I’m making a CentOS 7.1 USB stick right now in the background, and I’m about to build another CentOS server once it’s finished dd’ing that stick.

So no, “developers” are not abandoning Linux for OS X.  A bunch of us are choosing to use OS X on the desktop, but when it comes to deployment, well, let’s just say that macminicolo.net is very much on the fringe.