[CentOS] What causes phantom update nags?

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 3 15:13:21 UTC 2015

Am 02.07.2015 um 20:08 schrieb John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>:
> On 7/2/2015 10:20 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> Yes, I did see this warning on CentOS wiki re RPMForge but decided to
>> use it anyway. But how does this relate to the problem? I DO NOT even
>> have perl-IO-Compress installed. Mostly I figured this was a repository
>> entanglement problem, but I didn't know why. I mean why do I keep
>> getting messages about updating something I don't have installed.

Not installed packages are installed to resolve
dependencies of packages that will be updated.

> its a broken repository and shouldn't be used.    "I know its broken but decided to use it anyways?"   maybe that warning should be made stronger.

BTW - rfx tagged packages respectively the corresponding repo replaces distro packages.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2010-November/msg00096.html

as Dag wrote: RPMForge is dead.

http://lists.repoforge.org/pipermail/users/2014-May/029506.html

The decision is yours.