[CentOS] Gracefully powering off system in case of power failure

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jul 4 07:01:43 UTC 2015

On 7/3/2015 11:27 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
> I am using the system as shown below.
>
> *********************************
> [root at localhost sbin]# cat /etc/*release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

yeah, they have their own support forums and stuff.

> In case of power failure on this server , how can i make the system to
> shutdown gracefully so that it unmounts the file-system and cleans up
> the required buffers.
>
> My server does have a battery backup so it will help in shutting down
> the system more gracefully.

if your UPS is on this list,
http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html
install NUT (Network UPS Tools), available from the EPEL repository,
and configure it to talk to your UPS.

NUT documentation:
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/index.html

> I tried looking at this link:
>
> https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3326.0

that  is advise for a tinylinux embedded system, not a EL 6 system.
IMHO, you should never muck about with /etc/inittab on centos/rhel

> But it did not help. Appreciate if someone can help me in this regard.

I hope you restored your inittab to its original state.