[CentOS] OT Advantage of running DNS server?

Liam O'Toole

liam.p.otoole at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 14:57:22 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-22, Timothy Murphy
<gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> What is the advantage, if any, of running one's own DNS server?
> Surely the link between domain name and IP address must already have
> been established?

As others have said, it depends on your circumstances and what you want
to achieve. In my case I run dnsmasq on my home network, configured to
use my ISP's DNS server as its upstream. For me the advantages are that
it allows me to address connected devices by name and to see at a glance
what devices are connected.

--

Liam