[CentOS] USB stick query

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jul 7 13:31:21 UTC 2015

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Timothy Murphy
> <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>> Gordon Messmer wrote:

>>> I don't have a CentOS system here that I can reboot readily.  And it
>>> occurs to me that if I did, I didn't ask if your system boots via BIOS
>>> or UEFI.
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>> It boots via BIOS, and in fact boots into CentOS-7/KDE on a USB stick
>> (that is how I installed CentOS-7), and into Fedora-21/KDE on a stick.
>>
>> But it doesn't boot back into the CentOS-7 system that is normally
>> running if I say "sudo grub2-install /dev/sdc" (the USB stick is sdc).
>> It just comes up with the repeated "-",
>> which I take to mean it has found the boot-loader on the USB stick,
>> but has not found the kernel on /dev/sda6.

I have to confess that on using another USB stick,
re-formating it under Windows-7, creating partitions with fdisk,
and running "sudo grub2-install /dev/sdc",
the USB stick did boot my CentOS-7 machine into its usual system.

I checked the first 4 x 512 bytes on the two sticks,
and they did differ in the first 512 bytes,
but I haven't analyzed the difference.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net