[CentOS] Wrapper script for shutdown, passwd, etc. commands

Kwan Lowe

kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:04:49 UTC 2015

Hello all. Thank you for reading.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I am looking
to implement a wrapper script/utility that will prompt for a ticket number
before running certain commands. I've used similar scripts in the past on
systems that I didn't have admin access.

The wrapper would do something like this:

  [root at vm-helios-019]  shutdown -h now

   *** WARNING ***
   You are attempting to shutdown a production server:
vm-helios-019.digitalhermit.com
   Please enter the Change Log Ticket  for shutdown   CHG-FL-102122

   Please confirm by entering your login password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   Ticket number CHG-GL-102122 for user Kwan Lowe (klowe) has been logged
at
    Sun Feb 4, 2001 at 14:23 (2:23PM).

Ideally this would only kick in if the request is coming from an
interactive session.

Thinking about it, just replacing the command with a wrapper could cause
other problems.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks,
Kwan