[CentOS] Backups solution from WinDoze to linux

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:36:11 UTC 2015

On 07/14/2015 11:01 AM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> backuppc  does support pre- and post- backup scripts, so it is possible to
> implement backing up from vss. I've never done it, but there examples can
> be found

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/limitations.html
"So far, the best that BackupPC can do is send warning emails to the
user saying that their outlook files haven't been backed up in X days.
(X is configurable.) The message invites the user to exit Outlook and
gives a URL to manually start a backup."

So, no, it doesn't look like that's possible.  There *is* a link on that
page to an MSDN post which describes a script which can use VSS to copy
individual files to a new location.  However, there's no integration
with backuppc, and there's no identification of open files, so you need
to know in advance which files might need to be copied with VSS.

Don't do that to yourself.  Just use a backup program that supports VSS.