[CentOS] Suddenly OpenVPN not working - backgrounds prompt for username / password

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 03:05:56 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I'm on a fresh install of CentOS 7 and take my config that works on
Ubuntu on the same box.  Instead of getting a prompt for username and
password for the VPN I get a backgrounded task that spits this out :

[amckay at centos-gig ~]$ sudo openvpn --config /home/amckay/data/vpn.ovpn --daemon

Broadcast message from root at centos-gig (Sat 2015-07-25 22:59:13 EDT):

Password entry required for 'Enter Auth Username:' (PID 23461).
Please enter password with the systemd-tty-ask-password-agent tool!

[amckay at centos-gig ~]$

I actually started having the same problem at work when trying to
connect to our management network.  Different config file.  CentOS 7
though.   Same config file works great on Ubuntu.

Been googling it but not much luck.

thanks,
-Alan