[CentOS] SATA adapter recommendation

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jul 27 19:07:05 UTC 2015

On 7/27/2015 8:41 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Nothing specific, but I would strongly recommend a well-known brand, like
> LSI.

Normally, I'd agree, especially if this was for a high performance
server, but I don't believe LSI has any plain SATA adapters, just SAS
HBA's that support SATA, and most newer ones require pci-express 4-lane
slots, older ones were PCI-X 64bit, its been along time since they had
anything suitable for 32bit PCI

For a 32bit parallel PCI 33Mhz slot, the SiL stuff previously mentioned
is probably the best choice.  cheap, and they work well enough, even if
they aren't at the bleeding edge of performance (you can overwhelm 32
bit PCI with a single 1.5Gbps SATA transfer, nothing can get around that).

here's a typical SiL card.
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Silicon-Sil3114-Chipset/dp/B008BZB29E
(note that vendor ships from Hong Kong)
here's a US shipper,