[CentOS] SATA adapter recommendation

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Jul 28 17:03:14 UTC 2015

On 7/28/2015 12:26 PM, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 11:06 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> I have an old computer running CentOS 5.  I need to add an SATA drive to
>> it, but it doesn't have any ports, so I need an add-on card.  The board
>> only has a 32-bit PCI slot.  Any recommendations on cards/brands that
>> work well with CentOS?  I don't need any raid capabilities, I just need
>> a couple of SATA connections.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> Have you considered this
> http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/Bi-Directional-SATA-IDE-Adapter-Converter~PATA2SATA3
>
> I'm using the PATA2SATA3 and am well pleased.
>
> They also have a uni-directional (meaning it adapts in one direction -
> data flows both ways of course) one if that meets you needs.

I considered that one, but it looks like it needs to plug directly into
the IDE connector, and there isn't enough room to have a 2" device
plugged in there (2U case with a horizontally-mounted IDE card).  I
decided on one that plugs directly into the SATA drive instead.

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/25in-and-35in-40-Pin-Male-IDE-to-SATA-Adapter-Converter~IDE2SAT2

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

--
Bowie