[CentOS] Fedora change that will probably affect RHEL

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jul 28 19:29:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 02:20:06PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> If RHEL releases source code that does not accept weak passwords, then
> we will rebuild that source code for CentOS Linux.  If they later change
> the source code to add back weak password support, we will rebuild that too.
>
> Whether we like or dislike the policy doesn't matter in the slightest ..
> we don't make those kind of choices in CentOS Linux .. we rebuild the
> RHEL source code.

For what it's worth, at the Fedora level, we are extremely, extremly
unlikely to ship code which does not allow relatively-easy site-local
configuration of password policy, regardless of whatever defaults we
choose. It's also likely that Red Hat will choose different defaults
from Fedora for RHEL. That's not my department, but I would certainly
be surprised if *that* comes out in a way that doesn't make setting
your own policy simple as well, because that's something people want
and need.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>