[CentOS] Fedora change that will probably affect RHEL

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 29 02:31:28 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 09:01 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>> Warren Young wrote:
>>

>>> No, I am making the assumption that the vast majority of CentOS installs
>>> are racked up in datacenters, VPS hosts, etc.
>>
>> Is that true, I wonder?
>> For some reason Fedora and CentOS seem reluctant to find out anything
>> about their users (or what their users want).

This is just wrong .. we have started Special Interest Groups where
people from other places come in a build things that they want who are
the users (community).  We have guys from arm companies (helping do
arm64), Citrix (adding xen support in CentOS-6 and CentOS-7), IBM
(building a ppc64 and ppc64le arch), Openstack (via RDO), Open Nebula,
Project Atomic, Storage (via glusterfs and ceph) etc.  We have guys from
CERN helping run our Koji Community Build System.  The CentOS-Devel
list, where all this feedback is occuring has grown by 10 times since we
started the SIG programs.  We have several projects in the 2015 Google
Summer of Code where the community has input into add on projects for
CentOS (like a 32 bit armv7 image builder).

> This is confusing. I think it's overwhelmingly, abundantly clear that
> Fedora care about their users and are listening. CentOS cares with a
> hard and fast upper limit which is binary compatibility with RHEL. So
> if you want to change CentOS behavior you'd have to buy into RHEL and
> convince Red Hat, and then it'd trickle down to CentOS.

This is also true that CentOS Linux, the base, is just a plain rebuild
of RHEL source code.  That is what it is and what it will always be ..
the SIGs (where are building much community interaction) are optional
addons to that base.