[CentOS] Fedora change that will probably affect RHEL

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jul 29 18:31:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 05:58:51AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I've seen various decisions made by Fedora, which weren't even necessarily
> bad for its apparent target audience, the desktop user, that, while not
> insurmountable, get put into RHEL, and therefore CentOS.

I would highly recommend looking into Fedora Server; over the past
couple of years, we've made a deliberate effort to address Fedora's
cloud computing and traditional server userbases as intentional target
audiences. Take a look at

* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Document#User_Profiles.2C_Primary_Use_Cases_and_Goals
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Cloud_PRD?rd=Cloud_PRD#User_Profiles.2C_Goals.2C_and_Primary_Use_Cases

and see if you feel like your uses are better represented.

> Fedora has made several decisions where a developer or developers will
> ignore popular opinion.  I remember when pkgkit would allow any user to
> update through the GUI without authentication and it took the story making
> the front page of slashdot to get it changed.

It may have seemd that way, but I don't think Slashdot was a major
factor in this decision either.

> Like any organization, Fedora has some people who are very responsive to user
> input and others who aren't.  To me the reason to make noise about
> something in Fedora is to try to keep it from getting into RHEL and hence
> CentOS.

I'd like to encourage you to think of this in a different direction.
Instead of interacting with Fedora when you want to stop a decision you
don't like, help us build something you *do* like.

When people just scream "this new password policy is the worst thing
ever quit doing things differently!", developers who are genuinely
trying to make things better get discouraged, and while dissuading
someone from contributing in this way may _feel_ like a victory when it
was something you didn't like, it's a loss long term. So, instead: "I
have the use case ABC, which doesn't seem to fit in. I think it's an
important situation for target audience, so I propose...".

And, as always, triple bonus points when there's a complete design or
an example implementation, because we certainly don't lack for _ideas_.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>