[CentOS] Last few days in CentOS

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jul 30 09:00:11 UTC 2015

On 30/07/15 00:20, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 07/29/2015 04:53 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> the biggest blocker to going GA on the x86 build is the kernel; the
>> distro kernel we end up with isnt going to be the same as the upstream
>> x86_64 kernel configs. However, there hasent been a huge level of
>> feedback ( either positive or negative ) around those builds. So if you
>> are using it, or are interested in using it - do take the distro out for
>> a spin and let us know!
>
> I'm pretty sure that I posted this back when the beta was announced, but
> it seems to work just fine on my fanless VIA C7 firewall/router/proxy/
> IPA/CUPS/Asterisk box.  I've been waiting impatiently for this to go GA
> ever since, so I can start seriously bugging the EPEL guys.
>
> Re the kernel, how do the Springdale/PUIAS handle this issue?  It might
> be worth copying their approach and/or coordinating.

I dont believe they do either, they are disabling/enableing stuff in the
kernel's to be different from the x86_64 upsteam as well.

the real issue here is that if i386 ships with a different feature and
capabilities spec : will it matter ? The answer might lay in exactly
what is enabled / disabled - but since noone has come back so far with a
'this does not work for me', the assumption we might (should?) run with
is that its marked as an AltArch, and delivers its own feature set
regardless of what is in RHEL-7.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh