[CentOS] OT, hardware: HP smart array drive issue

Fri Jul 10 16:47:09 UTC 2015

Hi. Anyone working with these things? I've got a drive in "predictive
failure" on in a RAID5. Now here's the thing: there was an issue yesterday
when I got in, and I wound up power cycling the RAID; first boot of
attached server had issues, and said the controller had a failure, and a
drive had failed, and wouldn't continue booting; when I gave it the
three-finger salute, this time on the way up, during POST, it noted the
controller issue... but the thing came up, looking like it did a couple of
days ago.

Trying to prevent this from happening again, I've decided to replace the
drive that's in predictive failure. The array has a hot spare. I tried to
remove, using hpacucli, it refuses "operation not permitted", and there
doesn't *seem* to be a "mark as failed" command. *Do* I just yank the
drive?

     mark