[CentOS] IPMI/BMC/BIOS

Thu Jul 2 16:30:47 UTC 2015
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Chris Olson wrote:

> We have recently been asked to evaluate some computing machinery for
> a new project. This particular end user has very limited experience
> with the stated security requirements in a lights-out environment.
> Their primary work (as well as mine) in the past has been with very
> small, simple networks of desktop machines and a few servers with
> extremely limited access.  For the most part, their admins
> haverefused to use any maintenance connectivity to servers other
> than the primary serial ports.
>
> There is a concern about system security primarily driven by recent
> information searches performed by end user admins and included
> below. [...snip...]
>
> My initial recommendation was to use a totally separate network for
> any service processors within the servers that implement IPMI/BMC
> capabilities. This has been standard practice in most systems I have
> worked on in the past, and has allowed certification with
> essentially no problems. The BIOS concern seems to be another issue
> to be addressed separately.

+1 to network separation for OOB management. I assume you mean
"non-routable LAN," but that segment's connectivity is an interesting
question in itself. I like having access to management consoles via
VPN, but others dislike any off-LAN access whatsoever.

If your admins are comfortable with serial consoles, a concentrator
like those available from Digi or WTI can offer fairly robust access
controls; they can also be set to honor SSH keys rather than
passwords, which may help increase security.

WTI:  https://www.wti.com/c-4-console-server.aspx
Digi: http://www.digi.com/products/consoleservers/

I've had an easier time working with the Digi firmware, but either
will do the job.