[CentOS] Gracefully powering off system in case of power failure

Sat Jul 4 06:57:22 UTC 2015
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 07/04/15 01:27, Jatin Davey wrote:
<>

> In case of power failure on this server , how can i make the system to
> shutdown gracefully so that it unmounts the file-system and cleans up
> the required buffers.
>
> My server does have a battery backup so it will help in shutting down
> the system more gracefully.

use what is already packaged for centos:

  apcupsd - apc ups
  http://www.apcupsd.com
or
  nut - network ups tools
  http://www.networkupstools.org/

apcupsd is designed to run with apc brand ups.

nut is designed to run with apc and other brands.

both monitor ups and will shut system down via shutdown command.

i use apcupsd on my system with an apc back-ups rs 800 and have never
had problems.

during a 5 day power outage, i had change config so i could run system
when i used a gas powered generator to supply mains and voltage would
drop to a low of around 90 v.

hth.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6