[CentOS] Fedora change that will probably affect RHEL

Sat Jul 25 22:00:59 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 07/25/2015 11:45 AM, Jake Shipton wrote:
> I think a better solution to suite both worlds would be to simply have a
> boot flag on the installation media such as maybe
> "passwordcheck=true/false"

https://xkcd.com/1172/

It's practically a law that every time someone's workflow is broken,
they request an option to change it.  Personally, I'm against it.
Putting a weak password into the installer *is* a request for a weak
password.  There's no reason to request a weak password twice (with a
boot arg and a weak password) when the alternative is to graphically
represent the password strength and let the user decide.

I don't like the change, but at the same time I do all of my installs
with kickstart, and such installs are not affected. Kickstart files can
contain a hashed password, and since a hashed password can't be checked,
it can't be rejected.  Thus, any decision FESCO makes won't affect me at
all.