[CentOS] Last few days in CentOS

Thu Jul 30 10:12:06 UTC 2015
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 07/30/2015 09:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Re the kernel, how do the Springdale/PUIAS handle this issue?  It might
>> be worth copying their approach and/or coordinating.
>
> I dont believe they do either, they are disabling/enableing stuff in the
> kernel's to be different from the x86_64 upsteam as well.

I downloaded both the CentOS and puias
kernel-3.10.0-229.7.2.el7.i686.rpm packages, unpacked them and diffed
the config-3.10.0-229.7.2.el7.i686 included in each, they are identical
so it appears that puias has done *exactly* the same thing as CentOS to
get the latest kernel to work.

> the real issue here is that if i386 ships with a different feature and
> capabilities spec : will it matter ?

It might, but consider that if you're disabling a feature that is simply
not supported on 32 bit CPUs then someone using the 32 bit build can't
exactly complain if the kernel doesn't support it.  If it is available,
though, and just needs a bit of tweaking to get it to build for i386
then I would support keeping the feature and getting it to work so that
the i386 kernel is as feature-compatible with the x86_64 as is
reasonably possible.

> The answer might lay in exactly
> what is enabled / disabled - but since noone has come back so far with a
> 'this does not work for me', the assumption we might (should?) run with
> is that its marked as an AltArch, and delivers its own feature set
> regardless of what is in RHEL-7.

I'd rather have a kernel and build that works, but is missing a feature
than nothing at all.

Peter