[CentOS] rpmforge vs epel

Tue Jun 9 20:42:07 UTC 2015

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I've been informed that rpmforge and epel do
> not play well together and that if I use both,
> epel should have the higher (lower numbered) priority.
> Alas I had it the other way around.
> rpmforge messed up my effort to get audacity.
> I no longer need audacity,
> but would like to fix the situation before some other problem crops up.
>
> Would fixing the priorities and telling yum to
> reinstall all the packages from rpmforge be useful?
> Would it be dangerous?

I wouldn't. You should use *either*, not both. In fact, I believe that
some rpmforge packages may even conflict with the base distro. What do you
need in rpmforge that isn't available from base, rpmfusion, or epel? The
only thing I know of are some kmod packages from elrepo, and I have the
elrepo.repo configuration so that either it's not enabled by default, or I
only get specific packages for a specific machine from it (like an old
NVIDIA card).
> --
> Michael   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
> reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
> goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods

Damn, does it have to be a goat? Will a rubber chicken do?

        mark "gotta get one for work, y'know"