[CentOS] [OT] recover/reset 'owner' password on win7 os

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 2 03:42:09 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015 08:37 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2015, at 4:59 PM, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> all of which brings me back to my original question;
>>
>> how can i make usb stick bootable from linux?
>
> It depends on how you put content on the USB stick. Typically, I
> just ‘dd’ the installation DVD to the USB device, that way there’s
> no messing around. You can also follow the instructions here:
>  http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

procedure described at pogostick.com is to copy a group of files
contained in file 'usb140201.zip' to a usb stick, then from
command line;

   X:syslinux.exe -ma X:

which executes the "syslinux.exe" that was copied to the usb stick
in above.

  X: = volume containing usb stick
  -ma:
  -m = install an mbr
  -a = mark partition as active

oos 'syslinux.exe' command differs a bit from the linux 'syslinux'.

from reading 'man syslinux', i do not believe that i could have used
linux 'syslinux' as it would install wrong files to the usb stick.

as stated in an earlier post, solution was to create a bootable cd
of 'ntpassword' and booted it to remove all passwords. after doing
that, i was able to execute 'syslinux.exe' on usb stick as admin.
i now have 'ntpassword' on both cd and usb stick.

having used 'ntpassword' on win95, win98, xp, and nt systems, i will
say that that latest release is easy to use just as earlier version
that i have on a cd of 'austrumi 0.9.2' is. in fact, it is almost
the same.

i will say that anyone who has to deal with oos should have a
bootable of latest release of 'ntpassword'.

> Of course, I have no idea how you’d do anything with an OS other
> than Windows.

do not feel bad, most oos users do not know how to do anything with
windows, other than play games and music. ;-)

thank you for you reply and the link.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.