[CentOS] Effectiveness of CentOS vm.swappiness

Markus "Shorty" Uckelmann

shorty at koeln.de
Thu Jun 4 20:18:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This might not be CentOS related at all. Sorry about that.

I have lots of C6 & C7 machines in use and all of them have the default
swappiness of 60. The problem now is that a lot of those machines do
swap although there is no memory pressure. I'm now thinking about
lowering swappiness to 1. But I'd still like to find out why this
happens. The only common thing between all those machines is that there
are nightly backups done with Bacula. I once came across issues with the
fs-cache bringing Linux to start paging out. Any hints, explanations and
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Shorty