[CentOS] Effectiveness of CentOS vm.swappiness

Markus "Shorty" Uckelmann shorty at koeln.de
Fri Jun 5 19:09:09 UTC 2015

Am 05.06.2015 um 18:33 schrieb Gordon Messmer:
> On 06/05/2015 03:29 AM, Markus "Shorty" Uckelmann wrote:
>> some (probably unused) parts are swapped out. But, some of
>> those parts are the salt-minion, php-fpm or mysqld. All services which
>> are important for us and which suffer badly from being swapped out.
>
> Those two things can't really both be true.  If the pages swapped out
> are unused, then the application won't suffer as a result.

Why not? If you have an application which sees action only every 12 to
24 hours,I think this can happen. Our salt-minion would be a candidate
for this. Allthough we constantly check if it's alive, we only do once
or twice a day something "heavy" like a deployment. And very often we
have to run thos deployments twice, because the first time we get a lot
of timeouts. Sure, it might be the software itself. But I think it could
be possible that it is because of swapped out pages.

I can't be sure about this. That's why I want to find out what and why
things are happening. But first I need to find the right tools to do this ;)

Cheers, Shorty