[CentOS] how do I make my headset work

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jun 5 20:03:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:30:16PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, Frank Cox wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 12:05:43 -0500 (CDT)
> >Michael Hennebry wrote:
> >
> >>whether a microphone will introduce humming?
> >
> >Is it a 60 cycle hum?  If so, it's probably induced by poor grounding.
>
> I suspect so.
> Is that something I can fix?

that depends on where the grounding problem is...

I dont' remember if this is a desktop/deskside machine, or a laptop...

if it's a laptop, and if the power cord is a polarized 3-prong plug,
I don't think there's much to be done about it UNLESS the outlet you're
using is wired wrong, or there's a more widespread grounding/wiring
issue in your building.

if it's a desktop, I'll assume it's already a 3-prong polarized plug
(unless someone has used a 2-3 prong adaptor, or the building is
mis-wired.

All the above kind of assumes a US-like outlet. I don't recall where
the OP resides/works, so that may be all wrong.

You can get cheap devices that plug into a 3-prong outlet and have little
LED lights that indicate whether the wiring is correct, as regards ground
and neutral, or not.

Also, it's possible that you've got a cheap headset/mic combo that does
not have the shielded audio cable wired correctly. It's also possible
that it's a cheap-a** rig that doesn't even use shielded cable from the
plug to the mic/phones.

I've got one such headset here that injects hum into the microphone feed
on either my desktop or my netbook. however, when using the netbook, if
I disconnect the AC power, the hum goes away. Go figure.  Reversing the
(2-prong) plug in the outlet doesn't make any difference in this case.

So, if I need to record something, I'll borrow my wife's USB headset
which, as of last usage, worked fine.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.