[CentOS] how do I make my headset work

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 5 21:03:29 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 03:43 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/5/2015 1:33 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> It's a desktop in an old house.
>> The outlets have ground-fault protection,
>> but the third prong is ungrounded.
>
> not sure how GFI would function at all without a valid ground, unless
> the GFI is wired to neutral, which is dangerous on its own.

very. it defeats gfi faulting principal entirely.

> you might get a 3-prong-to-2-prong adapter and plug the PC into that,
> leaving the ground wire floating, and see if that works.   As most
> desktops have the AC ground pin wired to the chassis, floating the
> chassis might well eliminate the hum.

no need. as he said "but the third prong is ungrounded".

> also, things like fluorescent lamps can greatly contribute to hum,
> although that often sounds like a buzz.  lamp dimmers too, try
> switching  any dimmers in the general area to either 100% on or
> totally off.

correct. normally, repeat, normally, wiring for outlets and light are
different wire runs, but they may be common leg of 240 mains at panel.

<<>>

> not really, the wire itself has to be shielded coaxial wire. if its
> actually the headset itself, I'd suggest getting another one.
>
> I've had better luck with USB headsets of late instead of analog
> ones plugged into on-board audio, as the onboard audio microphone
> inputs are generally of very poor quality.

even with usb headsets, quality/cost is to be considered.

cheap preforms as cheap is.

low the price, lower the quality of results.

you get what you pay for.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.