[CentOS] CentOS 7 Gnome

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Sat Jun 6 15:22:54 UTC 2015

> Date: Saturday, June 06, 2015 09:57:03 AM -0500
> From: "Dr. Mikeal Hughes" <macmikeal at me.com>
>
> I downloaded the DVD iso of CentOS 7. When I rebooted all I get is
> a command line. How can I install Mate on my CentOS install? This
> one is not going to be a server so a GUI would be a big help.
>

>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:10 PM, Fred Smith
>> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
>> <mailto:fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>> wrote:

>>> Personally, I found that installing/switching to MATE (available
>>> from the EPEL repository) was the easiest solution for my many
>>> Gnome-3 annoyances. You'll get the system menu pulldown, and many
>>> other things you are used to from Gnome-2, back.
>>>
>>>  - Richard
>>
>> I agree with this, I use the MATE desktop and like it just fine.
>> HOWEVER, please make sure you install the epel repo first, since
>> MATE is not part of Centos.
>>
>> --
>> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us

> I downloaded the DVD iso of CentOS 7. When I rebooted all I get is
> a command line. How can I install Mate on my CentOS install? This
> one is not going to be a server so a GUI would be a big help.
>
> Mikeal Hughes, N9GI

It's possible that you are simply defaulting to non-graphical mode
(multi- or single-user) for some reason, or it may be that you
didn't install a graphical environment.

First, check your "target" level (previously called runlevel), with
the command:

   systemctl get-default

As the notes in the /etc/inittab file (which isn't used any longer)
indicate, you can use the "systemctl set-default ..." command to
change your target/runlevel to graphical. If you have a graphical
interface installed that should get you to it when you reboot after
changing your target level.

MATE is in the EPEL repository. You should look at:

  <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories>

for details on it, and other 3rd party repositories, and how to set
it up.

[please don't top post -- or at least keep the posting order
consistent.]