[CentOS] Resize KVM NTFS file system

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 14:14:12 UTC 2015

On 06/06/2015 06:19 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> I resized a partition inside a KVM RAW file system disk image.  When I
> start the Win7 virtual machine it does not report the new partition
> size.  It shows the file system as 15GB instead of the 50GB size of the
> partition that it lives on.  I gather from hours so reading the manual
> that I need to increase the NTFS file system size to fill the new larger
> partition where it lives.
>
> The ntfresize command does not seem to be compatible with disk image
> files.  Do I have to mount the disk image file with a loopback first?

It's generally recommended to use Windows tools to do NTFS re-sizing.
I can't help with that, but from Linux you would need to run
     kpartx -a -v /path/to/image/file
to create the /dev/mapper/loop?p? devices for the partitions within
the image. You can then access those devices just like regular disk
partitions.

Run "kpartx -d -v /path/to/image/file" to delete the loop devices.

                 Do NOT delete it.