[CentOS] less for CentOS6 with POSIX regex?

Tony Mountifield

tony at softins.co.uk
Sun Jun 7 14:16:17 UTC 2015

When I started using CentOS 6 instead of CentOS 5, I discovered that
"less" no longer understood \< and \>, which I had been used to using
since almost forever.

Eventually research revealed that in the Fedora version on which
RHEL 6 was based, "less" had been built with the PCRE regex library
instead of a POSIX one. So instead of \< and \>, I had to use \b.

I found a bugzilla entry about this, which showed that the change had
been reverted in a later Fedora release. So I tested CentOS 7, and found
"less" has been reverted to using POSIX regex, which I'm glad about.

What I want to know is: do any repos have a replacement version of
"less" for CentOS 6 that has been built with POSIX regex, so that
I don't have to keep switching between the two styles when working
on different CentOS versions?

Cheers
Tony
--