[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Jun 7 22:25:55 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-06-07 at 15:16 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> If I choose to do a fresh install of CentOS 6 with "replace existing
> Linux systems", will it also wipe out my /home directory? In the past
> when I've done this with another Linux distro, /home was not
> affected.
>
> Or, would I need to do "fresh" install and then muck with
> partitioning
> using a Custom Layout? Right now, it's kind of looking like the
> latter
> to me, and if so, will I lose data?
>
> I spent some time on the Forums and reading the RH documentation,
> but,
> no real answers to this specific question.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Kay,

Yes it does replace your home directory.  When I do a fresh install, I
back up my home directory on a usb drive and then copy it back after
the install.  I think you can also 'muck' with the partitioning, but I
have always taken a more conservative route.

Good Luck!!!

Greg