[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jun 9 00:19:45 UTC 2015

On 6/8/2015 5:08 PM, g wrote:
> ie, partition for boot, partition for swap, partition for /, partition
> home, partition for usr, partition for var, partition for home2,
> partition for what ever.

that model is not generally recommended anymore, at least not putting
/usr on its own partition, there's just too many issues with that
nowdays.   I don't like putting /var in its own partition either as its
all too intertwined with root.   the problem with lots of little
partitions is your freespace gets fragmented.

/home in a dedicated partition, sure.
/var/lib/${DATABASE_OR_WEB_SERVER}, ditto...