[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Jun 9 01:29:09 UTC 2015

On 06/09/2015 12:19 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/8/2015 5:08 PM, g wrote:
>> ie, partition for boot, partition for swap, partition for /, partition
>> home, partition for usr, partition for var, partition for home2,
>> partition for what ever.
>

> that model is not generally recommended anymore, at least not putting
> /usr on its own partition, there's just too many issues with that
> nowdays.   I don't like putting /var in its own partition either as its
> all too intertwined with root.   the problem with lots of little
> partitions is your freespace gets fragmented.
>
> /home in a dedicated partition, sure.
> /var/lib/${DATABASE_OR_WEB_SERVER}, ditto...

The real issue is that you cannot put /usr on a dedicated partition
anymore as of CentOS 7.  This is because /bin, /lib and /lib64 are
symbolic linked in the /usr equivalents now.  The (previous) purposes of
having a separate /bin and /lib was so that programs and libs required
at boot time could be run before the rest of the fs was mounted up if
/usr were on a separate partition.  Now they've been consolidated and
symlinked so if you put /usr on a separate partition then the system
won't be able to access critical apps during boot.

You can thank Fedora for making that rather pointless change and
breaking that capability.

Peter