[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 9 01:31:20 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 07:19 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/8/2015 5:08 PM, g wrote:
>> ie, partition for boot, partition for swap, partition for /, partition
>> home, partition for usr, partition for var, partition for home2,
>> partition for what ever.
>
> that model is not generally recommended anymore, at least not putting
> /usr on its own partition, there's just too many issues with that
> nowdays.   I don't like putting /var in its own partition either as its
> all too intertwined with root.   the problem with lots of little
> partitions is your freespace gets fragmented.

i agree with you 100%.

op inferred that i told him to put everything in 1 partition, which
i did not. so i was just telling him if he wanted to be 'old school'
he could partition what every his heart desired. ;-)

for my 'base' os partitioning is /boot, swap, /, /home.

all additional installs are /, swap, /home. after install if/and
install part 2 boot, i restart to base, i log in as root, copy
grub.conf into /grub of base /boot as grub.conf-newosname. then i
cut/paste lines into my main grub.conf. make notations in 'title'
line. next i copy base /root files that customize user root so i
have same 'root' operation across all installs. the i reboot to
new install and set it up.

> /home in a dedicated partition, sure.

only way i have done it from many years back.

> /var/lib/${DATABASE_OR_WEB_SERVER}, ditto...

if/when i set up a server.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.