[CentOS] (no subject)

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 9 12:28:22 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 08:24 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 05:32:05PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 6/8/2015 5:21 PM, michael wright wrote:
>>> Hi I am running windows 7 professional and the lastest centos7 x86 now if I wish to partition the hard since I have 2TB harddrive what volume would I need to set that at many thanks mike
>>
>> windows 7 defaults to creating a partition on the entire disk and
>> leaving no free unpartitioned space.   that leaves you with nowhere
>> to install anything else.
>>

> that's not hard to fix with the gparted live CD.
> 1. boot windows, defrag the partition(s).

problem with that step is that oos does not move _locked_ files
and directories. so when one goes to next steps, of shrinking,
if locked directories and files are not unlocked, one of 2 things
happen, shrinking can not shrink as much as needed, or locked
directories and files are lost.

> 2. shut down windows.
> 3. boot gparted live
> 4. in my experience the "main" windows partition is nearest the end,
>    so using gparted, shrink it enough to leave adequate space for
>    Centos. I won't go into how to use gparted, it's not hard, so you
>    can surely figure it out (I did!:)
> 5. boot windows and let it do its thing with "repairing" the disk.

such might work, but only if one has original oos install disk and
recovery disk.

> 6. run your Centos installer, being sure NOT to let it mess with
>    your windows partition(s).
> 7. see my other note about how to get it to dual boot with windows.

or so it is as i have found trying to set up a win7 laptop.

ymmv.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.