[CentOS] more newbie questions -- init 5 works, init 3 doesn't for "normal" users

Kay Schenk kay.schenk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 21:03:58 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 08:28 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>>
> <SNIP>
>>> The file "startx.trace" will have a list of all of the
>>> commands run, and all of their output (including errors).
>>>
>>> /var/log/X* might be interesting as well.
>>
>> OK, this last bit sounds promising although this works as expected for
>> root -- starts up gnome flawlessly. My previous setup imported settings
>> to use a display manager, etc. So, I need to check on this.
>>
>> Right now, one of my main concerns is that my old /home
>> partition/direction is supposedly associated WITH current users I setup
>> and yet...NOT! The system does not recognize this association even
>> though it asked me about setting it up when I created my first real user
>> on installation. I had to go in and reset uids but that's no biggie and
>> this process has worked fine before.  I can't help but think this is
>> related to the startx issue.
>
> I missed parts of this thread: are any of them mounted NFS? From root, su
> - user, and then do ls -laF, and check the ownership and group,
> *including* of ./ (the current directory).
>
> I mention NFS because of issues we've been having here, but we're
> connected to AD, and I need to fix /etc/idmapd.conf to have our domain.
>
>          mark

Thanks for everyone's help. It seems the not locating /home for users
was related to startx problem.

The /home partition in question had been an old one, ext3, and requested
not to format. All that was well. Partition mounted, etc. Unfortunately,
I had inadvertently installed selinux (OK, I saw that but didn't'
understand the consequences) and this was what was causing my odd
non-root user login behavior (couldn't locate /home) AND the startx
problems from init 3 level. After talking to an RH admin colleague, all
fine now. On to more fun items as I get up to speed on CentOS! :)

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                          -- David Letterman