[CentOS] CentOS 7 + Dell Latitude E6420 laptop = thermal shutdown

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 12 05:38:38 UTC 2015

On 6/12/2015 7:09 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> I want to thank you for posting your installation experience with
> Centos 7.
> My laptop is Latitude E6500 and I am quite certain it will experience
> the same issue
> because it is almost the same as your laptop. Difference might be in
> cpu speed
> and in RAM. My cpu is 2.81GHz dual core, and RAM is 8GB.

the E6x00, E6x10, and E6x20 are completely different generations of the
Core I processors and chipsets.   The x can be 4 (14") or 5 (15").  so a
E6520 and E6420 are nearly identical.

the -00 were Core 2 Duo processors, with GM45 chipset.
-10 were i5/i7 1st gen (3 digit) with QM57 chipset
-20 were i3/i5/i7 2nd gen 2xxx with QM67 chipset
-30 were i3/i5/i7 3rd gen 3xxx with QM77 chipset
-40 are i3/i5/i7 4th gen 4xxx with QM87 chipset (these are current
generation)

each of these has a different set of choices for graphics, wifi,
bluetooth, etc.

so, no, what does or doesn't work on a E6500 has little to do with what
will or won't work on a E6420.

that said, these are very mainstream business laptops, I'd expect C7 to
mostly work with them.